Thursday, August 13, 2015

It Wasn't Oregano

So turns out my tea that was oregano is actually bee balm. Although I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it grew legs and turned out to be a dog.

 

 

This is what I did to that little white stand, thanks to Heather for cutting and sending me the vinyl. =)
 

Daryl and I canoed over to Wild Horse Island the one Sunday... it was a blast, except it got a little toasty since it was almost 100*. Not sure why he has that smug expression on his face. =D
 
Naturally since we were on the island we went hiking! This was the only wildlife we saw... other than grasshoppers. Millions of them. As we walked they would leap out from every direction and hit you. Ugh.

 The trail just kinda disappeared, so we had to make our own! Which we are becoming quite good at.
 
It was SO dry and hot, as you can tell by his expression. At this point it had been several months since the last rain.


 
These were our "tired and insanely hot" faces. Hot meaning temperature-wise, although you can take it however you want to. ;) We bit off a little more than we cared to chew with that hike, because it was so hot and dry and not a cloud in sight. I was almost hyperventilating! Yes mom, I didn't tell you. haha. We want to do it again on a day that doesn't feel like the inside of a brick oven.
 


 These are just some flowers that are/were blooming, that I thought were very pretty. I however don't know the name of a single one. ha


 
These are some of the most recent improvements... 2 pillow covers, a little end table from Daryl's aunt, and finally new shades for this dining room light!
 
Daryl and I went on a little anniversary getaway to Missoula, and naturally went hiking.




Part of the trail was the one that Lewis and Clark took on their trek.
 
The next day we went to an old ghost town.





I think here he was trying to decide which pair of shoes he wants to take for work.

An old saloon. =D


Mom, there were so many antiques that you would've loved! In fact, I'm pretty sure you would've loved the whole ghost town.



 
Midgets lived here! Ok maybe not. The house just sunk into the dirt.

Daryl and I were a little concerned as to why there are 3 toilets in a row... those must've been some awkward conversations.


This would have been quite fun, had Daryl and my pace been a little more similar. He enjoys reading every single sign, looking at every single little detail, picking everything up... and my attention is gone within seconds. Makes for some straining situations. =P
 
Then we went on a trail that took you past the places where they were mining for gold, which is how the town got started. I think everyone goes with the small hope they'll find a piece. ;)

The terrain was so different! It was actually very beautiful in a dead, rocky sort of way.

This was the view on the way down from the ghost town.
 
This was our anniversary supper: steelhead trout, and some sort of potato conglomeration. It was quite good.
 
We took 3 of Daryl's siblings hiking in Glacier. It was a lot of fun, but once again, almost 100*. There was some near hyperventilation going on here and there between several people.
Rams!


The only bad thing about hiking Glacier is that all other hikes are boring afterwards.



 Taking pictures on that top little peak that we climbed to again. =D
 
It was a little hazy with smoke from a forest fire supposedly in Washington, or else it would've been a clear, beautiful, blue sky!



All of us. =)


 


 

13 comments:

  1. Bee balm tea at least sounds better than oregano tea. Beautiful flowers! Can that vinyl you used for the stand be used again? Hope you wore a life jacket for that canoe trip but my guess is you didn't. The pillows, you don't have a sewing machine so did you buy the covers? And yes, I'd like the ghost town as long as there are no actual ghosts there. You need some adults in your lives to keep you from hiking when it's so hot and other dangerous things you like to do. Can't believe we'll be out there soon. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I had to throw it away. =/ It would've been really hard to salvage it. Oh I just hand-stitched the pillows. haha yea I got them off of ebay. I know! I absolutely can't wait!

      Delete
  2. You could have convinced me that all that hard work made Daryl grow to the size of Paul Bunyan; comparing him to the size of the cabin. The old ghost town definitely looks like an interesting place to visit. We didn't invent "family restrooms" in our modern times, those old-timers had it long before we did; Papa, Mama, and little Cub, all in one sitting. :-) Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh family toilet. I didn't even think of that. I was imagining 3 sweaty men with long beards sitting in there. haha. Maybe you and mom could go see it when you come! Yea I've been feeding Daryl lots of spinach so he's just getting absolutely huge.

      Delete
  3. Glad you finally put something on the blog. However very concerned about you guys doing things that are dangerous. I know you guys don't take our concerns seriously, but please be more cautious. Are you guys 25 yet. They say the brain is not done growing until 25 and that why young kids don't make wise choices. It was just on the news of a couple and their son hiking in heat like that and the parents died. Also wear life jackets. On the news they tell everybody that there is no such thing as safe water. Now that I am done scolding you......Love all the beautiful pictures and the pretty flowers. of course Glacier photos are my favorite. Love that place. Be sure on your hikes to carry bear spray. A man was just killed in Yellowstone and also Glacier this summer. Always better to be prepared then to wish you were. Sorry I sound like a mom but yes you need some adults in your life. We don't want anything bad to happen to you guys. Ask yourself whether you would let your own kids go without life jackets, bear spray and hiking in 100 degree heat, then make your decision. Sorry again for scolding but you guys scare me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha oh Carolyn... I don't think I can even count on 2 hands how many moms I have. ;) We're probably not quite as dangerous as you imagine us to be. There were even older people hiking in Glacier when it was that hot! Ahh bear spray. Did you hear about the brilliant lady who thought bear spray was used like an insect repellant and sprayed her children? They ended up in the hospital. I think we just need to get a gun. =) I probably won't be able to answer that question until I have my own kids, cause at the moment, I prolly would. ;) Maybe that's another reason I'm not a mom yet! I guess you and Junior just need to come out here and supervise Daryl and I for a while. =D

      Delete
  4. I would love that. Problem is, I would be so busy taking going up and down " Going to the Sun " road in Glacier and driving around Flathead Lake that I would forget to supervise you guys. My comment on the brain not done growing until you're 25........the last thing to finish growing is the cortex. The cortex predicts the consequences of your actions. That is why up until then many make bad choices. They don't consider the consequences. Your lesson for the day from one of your mom's. I think I will pack myself into your mom's suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the pillows and the end table! So you and so beautiful. The side of that stand just goes with your house. I get scared looking at your hiking pictures. I'm watching for bears peeking out of the forest. Did you know there are over 700 grizzlies in western Montana? You should definitely carry a gun. Always. Yes, now I'm joining the ranks as one of your protective moms, but I'm over 25 so my brain is qualified according to Carolyn.

    I would love to see that ghost town. It's so interesting to see how people used to live, except for the outdoor non-plumbing. Yuck! Your pictures make my heart ache. I miss you so much. It would be so fun to go hiking with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha congratulations on your developed cortex. ;) We want to get a gun, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
      I know what you mean. Mine does too when I look at your pictures. I have only one word in response... come. Oh and bring my niece with you. haha. Then we can hike and do fun stuff together to our heart's content. You really need to come. Especially since you might not be buying a house right now. You never text Heather and I back! We had it all planned out.

      Delete
  6. Haha we'll see. You must understand how busy my weekend was, hence the delayed responses. I texted Heather yesterday at 1:47. And I'll Skype with you tomorrow. 😊 I can't bring your niece along, and I don't know if I can stand to leave her for 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make that Monday at 1:47. Forgot today is Wed. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh where, oh where has my Kelly, gone.....Oh where, Oh where can she be......With no info here and no info there.....Oh where, Oh where, can she be??? He hubby dragged her to Kalispell and all she does is pull weeds, When not pulling weeds, she goes on a hike, Oh where, Oh where, can she be??? In other words, it's time for an update!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha =D I'm not sure where she is! I think maybe a mountain lion got a hold of her since her cortex isn't fully developed, and so she wasn't carrying bear spray.😳

      Delete